October 13, 2011

Half Blood (ARC)

Here I am, with another review of a very anticipated novel-- Half-Blood by Jennifer L. Armentrout!
Summary:
The Hematoi descend from the unions of gods and mortals, and the children of two Hematoi pure-bloods have godlike powers. Children of Hematoi and mortals well, not so much. Half-bloods only have two options: become trained Sentinels who hunt and kill daimons or become servants in the homes of the pures.


Seventeen-year-old Alexandria would rather risk her life fighting than waste it scrubbing toilets, but she may end up slumming it anyway. There are several rules that students at the Covenant must follow. Alex has problems with them all, but especially rule #1:


Relationships between pures and halfs are forbidden.


Unfortunately, she's crushing hard on the totally hot pure-blood Aiden. But falling for Aiden isn't her biggest problem--staying alive long enough to graduate the Covenant and become a Sentinel is. If she fails in her duty, she faces a future worse than death or slavery: being turned into a daimon, and being hunted by Aiden. And that would kind of suck.

My review: Like I said above, Half-Blood was one of my most anticipated reads of 2011. This book was making its rounds in the book blogging community, and every blogger had something positive to say about this novel. So I had high expectations.

This book has to be one of the most well-known indie books read, except an indie book is an indie book, typos, choppy writing, and just plan bad editing. If you asked me to highlight one flaw of this book, it would be that.

That doesn't mean I didn't really enjoy this book! First off, lemme start by saying Alex was a pure awesome, badass, wicked cool main character. She didn't take no for an answer and was very, very persistent. She was a joy to read about and you felt like you were right there with her.

This book was SO not what I was expecting though. I thought it would be the typical paranormal romance book. oy, was it the opposite! It had lots of good moral values about family, letting go, and never giving up. Armentrout must go to a very awesome church.

The world building was something incredible! I felt like I was taking a step from this world to another, and that was so very, very cool! I also enjoyed how the book incorporated the Greek gods, without really being about the Greek mythology. They were there, but always really in the background, and we never actually met one of the gods. Instead, Armentrout takes the half-blood aspect from the Greek myth and totally makes it her own.

Half- Blood was a very fun, high quality read. Plus it has daggers, I like daggers...

4.5/5

Cover Comments: A purple flower on fire, totally macho!

Thanks to Around the World ARC Tours for providing the ARC.

Half-Blood hits stores October 18th.

This book counts in the following reading challenges:

Paranormal Reading Challenge: 3

111 in 2011: 84

7 comments:

  1. I'm really looking forward to reading this one as well the reviews have been amazing - especially for an indie! It's great that the author took time with the world building I find that can really make or break a novel. Great review!

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  2. Giselle- You should buy it the day it comes out! I agree! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really looking forward to reading this one as well the reviews have been amazing

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks so much for the review. i really need to move this up in my tbr!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This book sounds good. I can't wait to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I havent got this book but i git the sample and it had the b word in it but i am going to buy the full book right now it sounds very very cool. Esplcally because all of the reviews about this book was good it is an Definetly buy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment, I love and appreciate each and every one! As of March 2012, The Non Reluctant Reader is an awards-free zone. I'm honored to be considered, but do not currently have the time to pass the award on. Comments are the best award I can receive though! If the comment requires a reply, please be sure to check back for one. If it is a feature/meme leave a link to your post and I will stop by and comment if I get the chance!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison