November 28, 2011

Clockwork Angel

Title ~ Clockwork Angel (The Mortal Instruments, Book One)
Author ~ Cassandra Clare
Release Date ~ August 31st, 2010
Publisher ~ Margaret K. McElderry Books
Source ~ Gifted by Ben @ Awesome Lego Stuff
SummaryMagic is dangerous--but love is more dangerous still. 

When sixteen-year-old Tessa Gray crosses the ocean to find her brother, her destination is England, the time is the reign of Queen Victoria, and something terrifying is waiting for her in London's Downworld, where vampires, warlocks and other supernatural folk stalk the gaslit streets. Only the Shadowhunters, warriors dedicated to ridding the world of demons, keep order amidst the chaos. 

Kidnapped by the mysterious Dark Sisters, members of a secret organization called The Pandemonium Club, Tessa soon learns that she herself is a Downworlder with a rare ability: the power to transform, at will, into another person. What's more, the Magister, the shadowy figure who runs the Club, will stop at nothing to claim Tessa's power for his own. 

Friendless and hunted, Tessa takes refuge with the Shadowhunters of the London Institute, who swear to find her brother if she will use her power to help them. She soon finds herself fascinated by--and torn between--two best friends: James, whose fragile beauty hides a deadly secret, and blue-eyed Will, whose caustic wit and volatile moods keep everyone in his life at arm's length...everyone, that is, but Tessa. As their search draws them deep into the heart of an arcane plot that threatens to destroy the Shadowhunters, Tessa realizes that she may need to choose between saving her brother and helping her new friends save the world...and that love may be the most dangerous magic of all.

My review: I think I liked this book even more then The Mortal Instruments! This one was just so good! 
    The Shadow World is really cool, but I think this book is so good because of the way it combines Victorian London. The settings were written in a way only Cassie Clare can write, so vivid and unique!  Even though the book would be nothing without the fantasy aspects, Clare might want to try her hand at historical fiction one day. She'd be very good at that (I think)!
   I loved the characters in this book. They. Are. So. Cool. Tessa was really awesome, and selfless. Will and Jem were both excellent. Jem because of the drama he adds, and Will because of all the comic relief, even in the climatic scenes he still had me laughing like a mad man!
  This book had so much suspense, plot twists, and cliff hangers it killed me!  I'm usually pretty good at guessing the villain, but this book's villain was a complete surprise to me. One minute you thought it was person A, the next minute person B, and then five minutes later you find out in was neither! 
  I found this book being narrated by a Downworlder instead of a  Shadowhunter very interesting! The Shadowhunters are cool, but I really want to hear more about Downworld, as all the mythical creatures fascinate me!
  Once again, Clare's books blow me away. They are so beautiful, with a little bit of mystery, a little bit of action, and a little bit of romance to keep the drama coming. A full five stars to an excellent novel!
5/5
Cover Comments: I like this cover a lot more then The Mortal Instruments covers. Very mysterious!



19 comments:

  1. I loved this book too, and cannot wait for Clockwork Prince!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the review. I knew there was going to be a reason to like the Infernal Devices.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cassandra Clare never fails to leave me in awe. This book leave me breathless and is really fantastic, like 'The Mortal Instruments' series. I can't wait to read its sequel. Great Review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally love this book! I'm glad you did too~
    Cassandra Clare is my favorite author after reading The Mortal Instrument Series :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really LOVE this book so much. It has everything that I would want, mixing historical fiction with fantasy. That is a recipe for awesome-ness in my book! Which is strange 'cos I honestly didn't find the Mortal Instruments series as enjoyable (esp the first book). I think this series is much better in terms of plot and writing. But that's just my opinion. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't had the chance to read this book yet but your review has definitely put it on top of my to read list

    ReplyDelete
  7. I only picked this up because I LOVED the Mortal Instruments books. I can honestly say Clockwork Angel is one of my favorite books of all time! Cassandra Clare is SUCH a good writer and I was surprised by how much I enjoyed something set in a Victorian era. I really cannot wait to read Clockwork Prince! Only 3 days to go! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this book TMI too! And the Vicotorian London is just a wonderful setting! I think this will be one of my most treasured book in my life! Cassie's a genius! I can't get enough with her books! Totally driving me insane! LOL. Can't wait to read the Clockwork Prince! :))

    ReplyDelete
  9. *I love this book more than TMI too!* >:DD

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book a lot when I read it. I think it was my favorite read last year (2010)! I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for Clockwork Prince for so long! LOL Fortunately, this is one of those books that I loved enough that I remember a lot, so hopefully I'll have no problem with the sequel!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know I'm probably only one of the few left in the world who hasn't read it yet but there's a "method to my madness". I knew "Clockwork Prince" was coming out this month and since I'm too impatient to "wait" for another book in a series I waited until just now to start reading this so I wouldn't have to wait to read "Clockwork Prince"! I've just started this book and can't wait to see what all the "hype" is about!

    ReplyDelete
  12. ty for the review will pull this off my shelf and deff read it asap!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great review. I loved this book and I can't wait for Clockwork Prince to come out. I also agree with liking the covers for the Infernal Devices books more than the ones for the Mortal Instruments books.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great review. This sounds like an amazing series, cannot wait to get started

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've enjoyed the first two books in Clare's Mortal Instruments series. I suppose I should give this one a go sometime. Though, I really need to get around to reading City of Glass.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I loved this book. It's different from the other trilogy but I love the whole steampunk element. It's nice to see that Tess is motivated to find her brother which leads to this world she finds herself in. It's so hard to choose between Jem and Will, and I still need to read CLOCKWORK PRINCE!

    ReplyDelete
  17. i am not into paranormal novels, but after reading your review, i just might try it! Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  18. I must agree that The Infernal Devices are more enjoyable than The Mortal Instruments.
    Don't get me wrong though, I did enjoy TMI a lot. But I really think the setting of TID made it all the more awesome. :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I LOVE THIS SERIES!!!!! I think that I agree with you when you say that you enjoyed Infernal Devices more so than Mortal Instruments! I just love me some Jem and Will!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment, I love and appreciate each and every one! As of March 2012, The Non Reluctant Reader is an awards-free zone. I'm honored to be considered, but do not currently have the time to pass the award on. Comments are the best award I can receive though! If the comment requires a reply, please be sure to check back for one. If it is a feature/meme leave a link to your post and I will stop by and comment if I get the chance!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison