May 24, 2012

For Darkness Shows the Stars

For Darkness Shows the Stars by Diana Peterfreund
Release Date ~ 6/12/12
Format ~ ARC
Publisher ~ Balzer + Bray
Source ~ Publisher
Purchase: The Book Depository
Generations ago, a genetic experiment gone wrong—the Reduction—decimated humanity, giving rise to a Luddite nobility who outlawed most technology.
Elliot North has always known her place in this world. Four years ago Elliot refused to run away with her childhood sweetheart, the servant Kai, choosing duty to her family’s estate over love. Since then the world has changed: a new class of Post-Reductionists is jumpstarting the wheel of progress, and Elliot’s estate is foundering, forcing her to rent land to the mysterious Cloud Fleet, a group of shipbuilders that includes renowned explorer Captain Malakai Wentforth—an almost unrecognizable Kai. And while Elliot wonders if this could be their second chance, Kai seems determined to show Elliot exactly what she gave up when she let him go.
But Elliot soon discovers her old friend carries a secret—one that could change their society . . . or bring it to its knees. And again, she’s faced with a choice: cling to what she’s been raised to believe, or cast her lot with the only boy she’s ever loved, even if she’s lost him forever.
Inspired by Jane Austen’s Persuasion, For Darkness Shows the Stars is a breathtaking romance about opening your mind to the future and your heart to the one person you know can break it.
   I'll admit it, I'm not a huge Jane Austin fan. I have no problems with her work, but as a guy, it's sort of in our job description not to like 19th century romances. Still, For Darkness Shows the Stars looked pretty good... I was in the mood for a dystopian with originality. Sadly, For Darkness Shows the Stars was not the book for me.

  I thought Elliott was a good main character. She was very adamant about supporting her family's estate, and about betting living conditions for the posts and the reduced, and though she chose the estate over running away with post-reductionist, Kai, she was very open minded `to a world where posts and Luddites live as equals. She was the only main character I actually liked. Kai, the love interest, was so annoying. He made me want to throw the book across the room! He kept on acting like Elliott was a piece of crap, stuck-up Luddite who thought she was better then everyone else, when she was in fact the opposite. The other starring characters were just so forgettable, I have already forgot them.

  Peterfreund did have a good writing style that appealed to me, and it worked for some scenes, but not for others. It's always very high pressure and intense, I just wish she had some comic relief in this book. Because I never laughed once.

  The thing that broke this book's back was that for 85% of the book was that nothing was really happening. The main problem didn't even reveal itself til the book was almost done. For the first 350 pages it was just "Why doesn't Kai like me anymore?" or "Why is my sister such a jerk?", and I need more out of a book then that.

   Though Austin fans might like this book more then I did, it wasn't my cup of tea. It wasn't un-enjoyable, it was just pretty forgettable.
Cover Comments: This cover is awesome! I love the black dress and all the stars! 
 

16 comments:

  1. Since Kai is modeled after Wentworth, I can see him acting like that for most of the book. I am an avid Jane Austen fan though, so I'm really looking forward to this. It's sad it wasn't your cup of tea, but this is a great review Benji! Thank you. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for an honest review! I've been wanting to pick this one up, because I love her unicorn series, and now I have a better understanding of how to approach reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That cover is absolutely gorgeous! Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. hmmm I understand why you didn't like it.. I guess the story is more contemporary because it IS based on a Jane Austen novel. The cover is GORGEOUS and your review definitely made me aware of what to expect so i won't be disappointed, but i can't wait to read it!

    great review,
    juhina

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, dystopia plus Jane Austen? I *want* this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been dying to read this book! Sorry that you didn't enjoy it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It does sound a bit dull! I wouldn't associate that cover with jane austen either!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been wanting to read this for awhile, but had no idea that it was based on Persuasion.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been stalking this book! It sounds like such a great read - it's too bad you didn't like it. I think if you don't like the love interest it's hard to love a book that's focused on the love story.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the honest review. I'll look around more before deciding if I should get the book. The cover is pretty though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Nice review! I might read this book out of curiosity. Elliot sounds like a really good person, and Kai, hmmm, don't wanna judge him yet. lol

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved this review. The book sounds interesting i'm going to look in to it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just finished writing a review on Rampant, mentioning some of the main points you already did, even though they're two different books. Now that I know Peterfreund still elongates a book without events, I am reluctant to read it.

    Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I haven't heard of this book till I checked out your review. It sounds interesting. However like you I am not a big fan of Jane Austen I would prefer to maybe watch the movie/TV adapatations than read the books. I think I might give this book ago but it wouldnt be one I would rush out to get. Thank you for the review :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous cover aside I'm really looking forward to reading this book. Thanks for the great review. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am an Austen fan!! The plot sounds great, I think I might like it!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment, I love and appreciate each and every one! As of March 2012, The Non Reluctant Reader is an awards-free zone. I'm honored to be considered, but do not currently have the time to pass the award on. Comments are the best award I can receive though! If the comment requires a reply, please be sure to check back for one. If it is a feature/meme leave a link to your post and I will stop by and comment if I get the chance!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison