June 18, 2011

Leviathan

Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld has been on my radar for quite some time, so when I saw it in Scholastic's book orders I finally decided to get it.
Summary: On the eve of World War I, conflicts in Europe are coming to a bloody boil. On every side, governments are frantically arming themselves with new weaponry and sorting out likely friends and foes. On the whole continent, perhaps the oddest pairing of all is the makeshift alliance bred in danger between Aleksandar Ferdinand, fugitive prince of the Austro-Hungarian Empire, and Deryn Sharp, a daring British airwoman disguised as a boy. Both have secrets that they must conceal and now face dangers of literally global proportions. A steampunk series by the author of the Uglies and the Midnighters series.
Okay, so let's just get started by saying I LOVE steampunk books, and this was no exception! I think characters are key in most books and this book had some great ones. Both Alek and Deryn are very well developed and I connected with them a lot throughout the book. I loved Deryn's narration because as Deryn would say "it was so barking brilliant," very cheeky and fun! I don't think I can find a single flaw in this book, except maybe it could have been shortened by 30 or so pages. An adventurous, fast-paced 440 pages [in the paperback edition] of awesomeness.
5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment, I love and appreciate each and every one! As of March 2012, The Non Reluctant Reader is an awards-free zone. I'm honored to be considered, but do not currently have the time to pass the award on. Comments are the best award I can receive though! If the comment requires a reply, please be sure to check back for one. If it is a feature/meme leave a link to your post and I will stop by and comment if I get the chance!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison