March 1, 2012

After the Snow

After the Snow by S.D. Crockett
Release Date ~ 3/1/12
Format ~ ARC
Publisher ~ Feiwel and Friends
Source ~ Around the World ARC Tours
Purchase: The Book Depository
Summary: Fifteen-year-old Willo was out hunting when the trucks came and took his family away. Left alone in the snow, Willo becomes determined to find and rescue his family, and he knows just who to talk with to learn where they are. He plans to head across the mountains and make Farmer Geraint tell him where his family has gone.
But on the way across the mountain, he finds Mary, a refugee from the city, whose father is lost and who is starving to death. The smart thing to do would be to leave her alone -- he doesn't have enough supplies for two or the time to take care of a girl -- but Willo just can't do it. However, with the world trapped in an ice age, the odds of them surviving on their own are not good. And even if he does manage to keep Mary safe, what about finding his family?

This book looked like a very original dystopian. I don't think the "new ice age" dystopian story had been written before. Instead I found it to be world's biggest disappointment. The plot-line didn't engage me, it was predicable, the characters had no depth. All of those were things I disliked about this book, but the biggest thing I disliked: there was SO much slang. Here's a quote from the beginning:

" The dog gonna tell me what to do. The dog gonna help me. The house look proper empty, don't it, dog?"

It was that way for the whole. Entire. Book. I'm sorry, but that's too much slang to fit in one 12 year old! I didn't feel like that the slang enhanced the book in anyway, I probably would of liked this book a whole lot better if there was no slang. I know I shouldn't let that bother me that much, but it REALLY put me off.

Besides the slang, the writing style didn't draw me in. It was boring. Crockett had terrible word choice. I love learning new words from the books I read! Too bad my 7 year old brother has a bigger vocabulary then After the Snow.

I don't enjoy bashing a book. I really don't. But After the Snow was just not my book. I hope that maybe some of you will pick this book up and enjoy it. But it was certainly not my cup of tea.

After the Snow was just not the book for me.

2/5

Cover Comments: This cover is the best part of the book. I love the way the trees are shooting towards to sky and the white.

This book counts in the following reading challenges:

2012 Dystopian Reading Challenge: 6

2012 Debut Author Challenge: 5

2012 Standalone Reading Challenge: 3

2012 ARC Reading Challenge: 7

2 comments:

  1. I gave up on this one as well. Maybe it was too... British? The language was a bit odd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for taking the time to do this review. It's always nice to hear an honest opinion of a book :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment, I love and appreciate each and every one! As of March 2012, The Non Reluctant Reader is an awards-free zone. I'm honored to be considered, but do not currently have the time to pass the award on. Comments are the best award I can receive though! If the comment requires a reply, please be sure to check back for one. If it is a feature/meme leave a link to your post and I will stop by and comment if I get the chance!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison