September 10, 2011

Far From the War (ARC)

Today we have a very special ARC review! Far From the War by Jeffrey David Payne, the first ever book to be published by Roche Harbor Publishing House! Booyah!
Summary:Esther Casey is 3,000 miles away from home serving as a page in the United States House of Representatives when rogue politicians and military leaders stage a modern day coup d'etat. When the coup turns violent, she abandons Washington, D.C. for home and learns to survive on her own as transportation and financial networks fail, as the war disrupts food and water supplies. The result is a cautionary tale about political extremism and the true cost of war.
This isn't your normal dystopian novel. These days when you think dystopia you think books like The Hunger Games or Matched. Those are all fantasies. This book is not. Instead it's a realistsic, awesome story about a bad ass girl from Orcas Island.
I'm always excited to read a book about that takes place in Washington, so I was eager to read this one, although only a tenth of the story actually took place there.
From the very beginning I loved the character of Esther. She was funny. She was intelligent. She was totally 3-d! And something I was also very surprised about this... she was a Republican! There are almost no Republicans here in western Washington. The entire story I was enthralled by her and almost all the other characters! They were all so funny!
My favorite part of the novel was the dialog. Every time anyone opened their mouth it was pure gold! It was funny to the power of ten, I loved it!
This book had two major flaws. The first being the typos. I know this is a self-published book, but still, this guy needs some editors. There was every kind of typo in this book! The other major flaw in this book was the absence of a back story for three-quarters of the book. When it did appear, it was so unbelievable!
Perfect pacing and deft plot development make what may at first seem impossible all too real.
5/5
Cover Comments: I do not like this cover, at all! It doesn't draw you towards the book! I do however like the gold frame.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for the comment, I love and appreciate each and every one! As of March 2012, The Non Reluctant Reader is an awards-free zone. I'm honored to be considered, but do not currently have the time to pass the award on. Comments are the best award I can receive though! If the comment requires a reply, please be sure to check back for one. If it is a feature/meme leave a link to your post and I will stop by and comment if I get the chance!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison