February 5, 2012

Eve

Eve by Anna Carey
Release Date ~10/8/11
Format ~ Hardcover
Publisher ~ Harper Teen
Source ~ Barnes and Noble
The year is 2032, sixteen years after a deadly virus—and the vaccine intended to protect against it—wiped out most of the earth’s population. The night before eighteen-year-old Eve’s graduation from her all-girls school she discovers what really happens to new graduates, and the horrifying fate that awaits her.
Fleeing the only home she’s ever known, Eve sets off on a long, treacherous journey, searching for a place she can survive. Along the way she encounters Caleb, a rough, rebellious boy living in the wild. Separated from men her whole life, Eve has been taught to fear them, but Caleb slowly wins her trust...and her heart. He promises to protect her, but when soldiers begin hunting them, Eve must choose between true love and her life.

My Review: I wasn't expecting Eve to be that great. The summary looked good, but I had heard mixed things about it. Regardless, I decided to try it... and it was overall enjoyable.

Eve was the kind of character that you loved to see make a transformation! She was totally trusting in her society, and it took her a lot of convincing that they're not as good as they appear to be. Other then that, I felt that Eve was a little boring and 2d for me to truly connect with her. I hope that as the series progresses, her character will develop more.

I thought the world created by Carey was a bit too vague. It focused a lot on how the world got so nightmarish, but never actually went into too much detail about the world was currently doing. They talked a bit, but not enough to satisfy my needs. It was hard to understand the story and really enjoy it because of that.

I could predict EXACTLY what the romance was going to be like. Don't get me wrong, I like romance in books. But haven't we seen the girl-falls-in-love-with-outcast/rebel relationship used a bit too much? I wish some authors would take a chance and be original in there romance (Jodi Meadows's Incarnate was an excellent example of that.

This book did have great plot twists. If I do say so myself, I'm usually good at predicting the plot in most books. This book left me with my jaw hanging open more times then I can count! If you want a book with suspense, this one has your name written all over it!

In the end, Eve was an enjoyable read. The writing style was great, and it had an interesting plot, but it lacked the depth that would ingrain it in my memory. I'll definitely read the next books in this trilogy, but I hope they improve!


Cover Comments: I love the green sky with the bridge. This cover has an edge of mystery to it!

16 comments:

  1. i'm currently reading this one and i love it so much :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have this one to read and I'm really looking forward to it :)

    Dani @ Pen to Paper

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this one and I'm so happy you loved it. Glad you liked the pace of the plot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Currently reading this but going a bit slow. I like it though. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This one sounds pretty interesting - adding it to my TBR list!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been hearing a lot of mixed reviews on this book, but the premise sounds really good to me so I still want to read it at some point!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would love to read this one, and crossing fingers i can find it in my bookstore soon! Nice review! :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for this great review. I love stories with a plot twist. Love the cover. This book is going on my TBR.
    -Maritza R

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have been wanting to read this one for the while. The story really intrigued me. I love, love stories as well but not ones that are so perdictable which this ones sounds like it might be which is disappointing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I loved this book too, but I guess I know what you mean when you say 'Predictive romance'. Great review.

    - Sam

    ReplyDelete
  11. I've mostly heard good comments about Eve, so I'll definitely be giving it a try. Thanks for sharing your thoughts:)

    Sarah Bibi Setar

    ReplyDelete
  12. I think your the first review I've read that calls Eve good :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for posting your review. I've been wanting to read this for a while, but maybe I won't rush into it quite as quickly. Character development is a biggie for me, and I would hate to want to spend the book wanting to shake her. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've been dying to read this for ages now! :) Thanks for your review! I definitely get what you mean about the whole girl falls in love with a rebel but it is hard to resist! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. I also dying to read this book! I love books with suspense and thrill. I think I will love this book.

    ReplyDelete
  16. +JMJ+

    It's too bad that the romance is predictable, but I'm glad to read about the jaw-dropping plot twists. =) Like you, I'm pretty good at predicting what will happen next in books (and movies!), so finding a story that can still surprise me is always a treat. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one. Thanks for the review!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment, I love and appreciate each and every one! As of March 2012, The Non Reluctant Reader is an awards-free zone. I'm honored to be considered, but do not currently have the time to pass the award on. Comments are the best award I can receive though! If the comment requires a reply, please be sure to check back for one. If it is a feature/meme leave a link to your post and I will stop by and comment if I get the chance!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison