February 8, 2012

Witch Eyes

Witch Eyes by Scott Tracey
Release Date ~ 9/8/11
Format ~ Paperback
Publisher ~ Flux
Source ~ Books With Bite
Rating ~ 4.5/5
Summary: Braden was born with witch eyes: the ability to see the world as it truly is: a blinding explosion of memories, darkness, and magic. The power enables Braden to see through spells and lies, but at the cost of horrible pain. 
After a terrifying vision reveals imminent danger for the uncle who raised and instructed him, Braden retreats to Belle Dam, an old city divided by two feuding witch dynasties. As rival family heads Catherine Lansing and Jason Thorpe desperately try to use Braden's powers to unlock Belle Dam's secrets, Braden vows never to become their sacrificial pawn. But everything changes when Braden learns that Jason is his father--and Trey, the enigmatic guy he's falling for, is Catherine's son.
To stop an insidious dark magic from consuming the town, Braden must master his gift—and risk losing the one he loves.

 When I hear about Scott Tracey's Witch Eyes sometime last year, I was drawn to it for a number reasons: One thing was the main character was a guy (like me, I think)! The second, it took place in my home county of Jefferson County, Washington! Yay! Maybe I don't live in such a boring part of the world after all... we had Twilight, and now we have Witch Eyes! Who else wants to join the party? (Note: this is my personal invitation to all the authors I like to start writing books that take place in Jefferson county).
  In this book there is a feud between two witch families, the Lansings and the Thorpes, that has been going on more many generations and has took it's toll on the quiet town of Belle Dam. In Belle Dam hardly anyone is nice to you for the sake of being nice to you, nope, everyone is just trying to get ahead of the game, in this tense environment, Braden
    Braden was a great main character. He wasn't easy to connect with (especially in the romance department), but he made up for it just because he was such an interesting guy. Plus his powers were really cool and unique. Though I felt like he was too moody at times.

    The writing in this book really descriptive. It painted a clear picture in my mind of what was happening, which helped me enjoy the book more. Tracey has a style of writing

Witch Eyes is a stellar debut from Scott Tracey, with a great plot and a wonderful cast of characters!
4.5/5
Cover Comments: This cover is so cool! I love the mansion and look at his magic eyes!
This book counts in the following reading challenges:
2012 TBR Pile Reading Challenge: 4
2012 Paranormal Reading Challenge: 4
2012 Witches & Witchcraft Reading Challenge: 2
2012 Books Won Reading Challenge: 1
1st in a Series Reading Challenge 2012: 8

 

18 comments:

  1. I saw your review and I remembered that I have the book. The story is so interesting and I can't understand why I haven't read it yet. Braden seems great character.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like Romeo & Juliet,sounds interesting.
    I like your review.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This books sounds pretty good. I may check it out. I really like the cover. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not familiar with this book. Thank you for bringing it to my attention. I'll have to check it out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how little things like a male hero or the setting one knows well really amps up your enthusiasm! I totally relate, sometimes it's these little things that connect you:))

    It's nice that Braden is interesting and different:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds really good! Thanks for introducing me to the book, I'll definitely be reading it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I really loved this too. And I interviewed Scott on my blog. He's had an interesting life. Thanks for reviewing this.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have seen this book around on a lot of blogs, and the general consensus is that it is a worthwhile read! I love the idea of the feuding families, and I don't read enough books with witches in them so this one intrigues me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for your review. I have heard mixed things and am happy for a good review on it. I love how descriptive it sounds and Braden sounds like my kind of guy:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow never read a book about a gay witch before. Might be checking this out.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gay witch? Woah, worth checking out! :D

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for review. Four and a half stars, wow. Have to put this on my TBR list. Love books that are really descriptive and with great characters. Can't wait to read. Thanks again. Oh yea and love the cover too.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The cover's really creepy yet make me curious to read it immediately!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I like this review. I've yet to read this. It look an interesting book.

    ReplyDelete
  15. How cool that it was set in your town!! And that cover is pretty awesome!!

    ♥Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  16. Interesting to read.. I hope i have achance to read it one day. Thank you for the giveaway!

    ReplyDelete
  17. +JMJ+

    It's interesting to read about a YA Paranormal with a male lead. I wonder if he gets his own love triangle, too. LOL! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for the comment, I love and appreciate each and every one! As of March 2012, The Non Reluctant Reader is an awards-free zone. I'm honored to be considered, but do not currently have the time to pass the award on. Comments are the best award I can receive though! If the comment requires a reply, please be sure to check back for one. If it is a feature/meme leave a link to your post and I will stop by and comment if I get the chance!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design by Imagination Designs all images from the Under the Dappled Shadows kit by Lorie Davison